[Dovecot] Disable IMAP for certain users, but not Webmailer

FORMER 03 | Baltasar Cevc baltasar.cevc at former03.de
Sun Aug 5 13:41:09 EEST 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm planning to set up our new mail system using the Dovecot mailbox
server. It mostly works fine yet (it's quite straigt forward to set up,
I'd say), but there's a thing I haven't been able to find out yet. We
provide POP3 access for all users, but want to restrict IMAP access to
some of them (because IMAP users tend to leave more messages on the
server, thus increasing storage needs).

I used to do it by providing two services. One provided the public imap
and checked a database flag during authentication, the other just
provided IMAP on localhost and did not check the "allowed to use IMAP"
flag.

What I've found for Dovecot is
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/RestrictAccess
While this allows me to provide full POP3 to everybody and in the same
time restricting IMAP, I don't see a possibility

Is there any possibility to achieve what I need without having two
completely separated instances of Dovecot running?

I'd appreciate any hints, pointers to documents etc.

Thanx,
Baltasar
--

_____ FORMER 03 GmbH