[Dovecot] lda: vacation auto-reply for a virtual address

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Aug 8 18:42:57 EEST 2007

also sprach Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> [2007.08.08.1458 +0200]:
> > until I discovered how limited sieve's vacation module is. Most
> > importantly: it's hardcoded to use the Return-Path of a message, but
> > in this very case, I need to actually use the address in the from
>
> What's the reason of not using Return-Path?

The mailbox receives mail sent from a web interface not in our
control. We know From is verified because else the user could not
have used the web interface, but Return-Path is always set to the
person running the web service.

> When it is missing, you can search the archives for a patch of
> mine, that uses the -f argument in this case. -> And the reply,
> why NOT to use From for sending replies ;-)

I am aware of reasons not to use them. In this case it's
a non-public address used only by the web interface.

> > Given that mail is delivered by the Dovecot LDA, is there any
> > way to make deliver pass it off to e.g. procmail in such a way
> > that $HOME is set to /srv/vmail/domain.org/localpart, so that
> > procmail can find the .procmailrc?
>
> Of course, you could patch Dovecot LDA. It is rather straight
> forward.

As a long-time Debian user, I'd really rather not patch anything. :)

> Another idea is to setup your MTA to deliver each mail to two
> maildrops, traditionally this is called ".forward" files, because
> in sendmail you can create a file ".forward" in the user's homedir
> and put all the mail forwards there, e.g.:

Virtual users don't really have home directories and postfix's
virtual delivery agent doesn't call them anyway.

But yes, if dovecot's LDA would honour something like .forward
files, I'd be happy.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"no problem is so formidable
 that you can't just walk away from it."