[Dovecot] Authentication problem - or is it?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:45:12 EEST 2007

On Wednesday 08 Aug 2007, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> Doubt if you're going to get much help with what little info you
> provided...

I didn't want to send reams that may be irrelevant, as I'm unsure where to
start looking.  If it's not authentication, I haven't a clue.

> Exact version?

dovecot-1.0.rc26-1.1mdv2007.1

> Dovecot -n output?

dovecot -n
# /etc/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/mail/mail
info_log_path: /var/log/mail/mail.info
protocols: imap
ssl_disable: yes
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: ~/Maildir/
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: /etc/passwd

> Pertinent logs?

dovecot: Aug 08 18:50:11 Error: IMAP(anne): Ambiguous mail location setting,
don't know what to do with it: /home/anne/Maildir (try prefixing it with
mbox: or maildir:)
dovecot: Aug 08 18:50:11 Error: IMAP(anne): Failed to create storage with
data: /home/anne/Maildir
dovecot: Aug 08 18:50:11 Error: child 25910 (imap) returned error 89

I tried adding maildir:, but it made no difference.  Here is my dovecot.conf
with all the comment lines stripped out:

base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
protocols = imap
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_path = /var/log/mail/mail
info_log_path = /var/log/mail/mail.info
ssl_disable = yes
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
login_user = dovecot
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/
mail_extra_groups = mail
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
protocol imap {
  login_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
}
protocol pop3 {
}
protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com
}
auth_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-auth
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb pam {
  }