[Dovecot] Userdb and home directories

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 9 17:18:20 EEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 11:23 +0100, Mike Brudenell wrote:

> [Quick side-question: should I be using $USER or $RESTRICTED_USER
> here?  I can't work out what the difference between them is.  Both
> are set within Dovecot's standard environment.]

If you're using system users they're the same. If you're using virtual
users $USER contains the virtual user and $RESTRICTED_USER contains the
system user.

> Is there some way of overriding the home directory used in the very
> early (imap-login?) process?  At present I can only think of either:
>
>      a) Edit /etc/passwd with a dummy home directory for all users to
> appease
>         the very early check, then use the postlogin script to set
> the real
>         home directory up for the main imap process, or
>
>      b) Edit the source code to do likewise.

c) Use checkpassword script for authentication and have it return a
different home directory.

I guess this has been asked often enough. v1.1 supports now this:

userdb passwd {
  args = home=/var/mail/%u
}

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/1cc70ab3482a