[Dovecot] Deleting deleted eMails

Fri Aug 10 20:44:46 EEST 2007

> I am using Dovecot 1.0.rc15

rc15 is very old... I'd update regardless when you get the chance... and
if I'm not mistaken, there were quite a few updates that affected
Outlook/Outlook Express clients...

> together with Outlook (I apologize)

heh...

> Now I discovered, that all the old eMails, I marked for deleting, are still
> there, even the veeery old ones. Dovecot is marking the eMails (I am using

Yeah, Outlook is a pain... it would be really cool if there were a way
to have dovecot do this. The only problem is, Outlook users may be used
to being able to 'undelete' messages, and might scream bloody murder if
you did this without warning... now, if it could be configured on a
per-user basis... :)

Anyway, in case you weren't aware...

You can hide them and just purge every now and then:

View > Arrange By > Current View > Hide Messages Marked for Deletion

And to make it easier to quickly purge the messages marked for deletion,
you can set up the following button:

     * Choose Tools-Customize and click on the Commands tab.
     * Click on the Edit category and scroll down until you see the Purge
       Deleted Messages option.
     * Click to select the Purge Deleted Messages option and drag it up
       to your toolbar. One nice place to locate it might be next to the
       black X tool (which represents "delete").
     * After you see the words Purge Deleted Messages on your toolbar,
       you can click Close.
     * (In the future, if you need to move that command off of the
       toolbar, or move it to another location, simply repeat steps 23-26
       but drag it back onto the Edit list.)

--

Best regards,

Charles