[Dovecot] IDLE with inotify problem

Michael Guntsche mike at it-loops.com
Mon Aug 13 15:15:14 EEST 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 13:49, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> What IMAP client do you use? Currently Dovecot works like:
>
>  - IDLE starts
>  - if maildir changes, the new changes are reported immediately
>  - if client doesn't break from IDLE, continue..
>  - if maildir changes before maildir_idle_check_interval seconds, wait
>
> This works nicely if client breaks from IDLE, but it looks like
> nowadays
> some clients just use multiple connections where one is always in
> IDLE.
> So maybe I'll have to change that.

I am using the inotify plugin bundle for mail.app most of the time
and I tested it via a telnet connection too.
As far as i know the imap-idle-plugin opens a seconds connection and
keeps it in idle state.
This might explain why i see the current behaviour with it and my
telnet tests.
First notification happens immediately and if the client does not
break from IDLE it just waits for maildir_idle_check_interval
seconds. Maybe this can be changed that it does not take the interval
into account of it uses inotify, dnotify or kqueue.
My workaround for now is to set the timeout to 1.

Kind regards,
Michael