[Dovecot] use of deliver from procmail advisable?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Aug 14 17:38:21 EEST 2007

Hi list,

I understand that dovecot's deliver does a little more than deliver:
it also updates the dovecot metadata stored with each Maildir. Thus,
if I use deliver as opposed to procmail's internal Maildir delivery,
it seems that the IMAP server later has less work to do since the
metadata is can use are up to date.

Doing this, however, incurs an extra process for each mail
delivered. I thus wonder whether the two balance each other out, or
whether there is a strong difference.

What do you think will be less resource-heavy: calling deliver for
every mail received *in addition to* procmail, or letting the IMAP
server update the metadata on access?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

EARTH
      smog | bricks