[Dovecot] use of deliver from procmail advisable?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Aug 14 20:03:58 EEST 2007

also sprach Kyle Wheeler <kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net> [2007.08.14.1833 +0200]:
>> I understand that dovecot's deliver does a little more than
>> deliver:
>
> It also understands the 'seive' filter language (an alternative to
> procmail).

I don't consider it an alternative to procmail because you cannot
pass mail to external programmes, like spamassassin or vacation.
Sure, sieve has its own vacation module, but I find that to be
rather limited. See this thread:

  http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-August/024686.html

>> What do you think will be less resource-heavy: calling deliver
>> for every mail received *in addition to* procmail, or letting the
>> IMAP server update the metadata on access?
>
> Unless you're cutting it close to the limit on what your server
> can handle, that's probably the wrong question to ask. A better
> question is: which gives my users better performance?

Good point. The users, however, as far as I know, all use tools like
offlineimap to synchronise in the background, so it hardly matters.

> your users aren't paying attention. Dovecot will *seem* snappier
> if you do the indexing work on delivery rather than on access,
> even though it may spend more CPU cycles overall to do so.

Does anyone have hard facts on how much the server process loses if
it encounters a folder with an index inconsistency?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

mulutlitithtrhreeaadededd s siigngnatatuurere

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net