[Dovecot] High CPU utilization on Solaris 10

Jon Alessandrello instigatetrouble at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:28:57 EEST 2007

I've read similar post about such an issue, but have not seen any posted
solutions.  I have a clean install of Solaris 10 running a Sunfire v440
w/postfix.  I am using dovecote solely for SMTP authentication, and it is
working just fine except while running top I constantly see:

548 root       1  30    0 5240K 3416K run    522:51 49.45% dovecot-auth

 The process never crashes, nor are there any errors.  I ran a test devel
box with an almost identical setup of postfix and dovecot on Solaris 9
(V240) and the functionality is identical, but with no high CPU usage.  The
following are my configs and system info:

dovecot --version
1.0.3

OS
Solaris 10 Sparc (Patched)

No NFS all local ufs

dovecot -n
# 1.0.3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
log_path: /var/log/dovecot
protocols: none
ssl_disable: yes
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: ldap
    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
  userdb:
    driver: ldap
    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /opt/pmx/postfix/var/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix

cat dovecot-ldap.conf:
hosts = localhost

dn = cn=priv-account,ou=container,dc=example,dc=com
dnpass = mydnpasswd

ldap_version = 3
base = ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
scope = subtree
pass_attrs = uid=user,userPassword=password
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))

default_pass_scheme = CRYPT

Any help would be great!!

-Jon