[Dovecot] mail_location ?

Yu Chen chen at hhmi.umbc.edu
Thu Aug 16 20:41:12 EEST 2007

Hi, my mail server is running fine. But not sure if I am doing right with
"mail_location" in dovecot.conf

I am using dovecot-1.0.0-8_56 on RHEL AS 4 Update 5.
Our users have a "mail" directory under their home directory(~/mail). I
thought the "mail_location" line should be:

mail_location =
mbox:%h/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail_indexes/%d/%n

but if I do this, all the mailboxes in the "mail" directory won't show,
and a new "mail" folder will be created under "~/mail/", so it is
"~/mail/mail" now.

if I change it to this:

mail_location = mbox:%h:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail_indexes/%d/%n

Everything is fine, is this the supposed behavior?

Thanks
CY

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone: 	(410)455-6347 (primary)
 	(410)455-2718 (secondary)