[Dovecot] rule of thumb for indexing overhead

Vegar Nilsen vn at cl.no
Thu Aug 23 20:35:41 EEST 2007

WJCarpenter wrote:
> Thanks, but I think you misunderstood my question.  I'm trying to
> figure out how much disk space I'll actually need for holding the
> index files.  In other words, I'm looking for a planning factor to
> figure out how much disk to buy when I got to Fry's :-).

Using my own maildir as an example here:

root#fam [(/var/gopostal/maildirs/copyleft.no/vegarn)] find . | wc -l
    54365
root#fam [(/var/gopostal/maildirs/copyleft.no/vegarn)] du -sh .
902M    .
root#fam [(/var/gopostal/maildirs/copyleft.no/vegarn)] find . -name
"dovecot.*" | xargs du -sch | grep total
  41M    total

Just under a 1:20 ratio in my case.

Cheers,

Vegar Nilsen