[Dovecot] Enabling IMAP namespaces for existing folders

Phil Edwards pedwards at precisionfc.com
Tue Aug 21 23:24:12 EEST 2007

Hi.

We're using dovecot 1.0.3 with a very very simple setup; specifically,
there are no namespaces defined.  Users have been puttering away happily
for many months, creating subfolders and whatnot with (almost) zero
problems.

We'd like to start taking advantage of shared IMAP folders.  I've been
reading over the dovecot wiki and have only one question that I don't
see documented.  The docs point out that if we define any namespaces, we
must also explicitly define the private previously-default one.  My
question is:  are there any migration or transition steps that must be
taken there?  Will clients' configuration need to be modified in any way
when, e.g., their existing IMAP folders suddenly become part of a
private namespace?

Thanks for the newbie help.

--
Phil Edwards