[Dovecot] MANAGESIEVE patch v7 for dovecot 1.0.3

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Aug 27 18:43:08 EEST 2007

Hello Geert,

Geert Hendrickx schreef:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 01:06:37AM +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>
>> This patch still includes (yet another) instance of the CMU Sieve source,
>> as explained in one of my previous e-mails.
>>

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:10:35AM +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>
>> Considering the dovecot-sieve plugin, I noticed that you obviously do not
>> want to include the cmu sieve code in the main dovecot source tree.
>> Unfortunately I did not see any other way but to include this library in
>> my patch to make it support checking the uploaded scripts (for now).

I could. In July 2006 I did not yet notice the existance of the sievec
binary so included the cmu sieve library just as Timo did for the
dovecot-sieve plugin. Apart from the obvious omission of the libsieve
source tree in the patch, I currently see no benefits in changing the
patch to use sievec. When/If it is merged into the mainstream dovecot or
the dovecot-sieve plugin, it will use the same sieve implementation as
dovecot without using the sievec binary anyway. So changing that now
would require even more changes to be made later on when thnings need to
be merged. Apart from all that, I think compiling it directly with the
sieve library is much cleaner; for instance, the managesieve server can
directly query the library for the supported extensions without
hardcoding them separately in the managesieve patch.

Unless you or Timo have strong arguments to the opposite, I currently
have no plans to change the current connection of sieve to the
managesieve patch until dovecot(-sieve) 2.0.

Kind regards,

Stephan.