[Dovecot] Planning a dovecot deployment: issues and questions

Jens Knoell jens at surefoot.com
Fri Feb 2 03:05:07 UTC 2007

Dan Price wrote:
> On Thu 01 Feb 2007 at 06:08PM, Jens Knoell wrote:
>
>> Biggest single folder size is around 1.5GByte, no idea how many mails.
>> Average access time to that folder from Thunderbird is about 15 seconds
>> or so for initial loading, pretty much instant when opening any mail in
>> there. Indexing it from scratch takes quite a bit longer though, about 7
>> minutes.
>>

> It does help some :)  I should have mentioned that we are fairly
> well tied to mbox format for now (and hence my comment about
> scalability-- a 1.1GB mbox box is a sad thing; I wish I could remember
> all the reasons why we felt compelled to stay with mbox-- I'll have to
> go ask the sendmail guru.
>
> Thanks,
>
>         -dp

In all honesty, that's what we used before as well. The main issue I had
with that setup were waaaay too many support calls because people could
not figure out why they were not able to store mails AND subfolders in
any folder. I've only actually switched to maildir a few weeks ago after
some testing. Not sure if that limitation on mbox still exists in
current Dovecot though - haven't tried.

Jen