[Dovecot] periodic problems with dovecot-1.0rc19 (No authentication sockets found)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 2 13:11:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 13:38 -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hi, Timo!
>
> On the new server running 1.0rc19 people stop being able to login every once
> in a while. The log messages on the server side are:
>
> Jan 30 12:18:50 bonkers dovecot: pop3-login: No authentication sockets found
> Jan 30 12:18:50 bonkers dovecot: pop3-login: No authentication sockets found
> Jan 30 12:18:59 bonkers dovecot: pop3-login: No authentication sockets found
> Jan 30 12:19:01 bonkers dovecot: imap-login: No authentication sockets found
> Jan 30 12:19:06 bonkers dovecot: pop3-login: No authentication sockets found
>
> Restarting dovecot helps for a while, but then the problem reappears...

It means that something wiped out the sockets from Dovecot's login_dir
(/var/run/dovecot/login or something).

> The old server ran FreeBSD-4.10/i386. The new one runs FreeBSD-6.2/amd64.

Wonder if there's some cronjob going through the files and deleting
them? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Earlier Dovecot versions also deleted the sockets when using "dovecot
-n" or -a, but that was fixed in rc16.