[Dovecot] Indexing Performance Question (was tpop3d vs dovecot)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 5 11:30:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 00:56 +0100, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Quoting Timo Sirainen:
>
> (oops, forgot list cc...)

> Oh. Is this documented somewhere? And are there any other filename tags?

Not documented. I think some other software also used this. 'S' and 'W'
are the only flags that Dovecot supports.

> > I think at least Exim supports adding the ,W= to the maildir file.
>
> Should be something like this in the appendfile transport for dovecot:
> maildir_tag = W=${eval:$message_size+$message_linecount}
>
> to get filenames like new/1170546076.H147536P16502.ymmv.de:W=354
> (Adding $message_linecount with eval: is only needed when the file
> contains only LFs, of course.)
>
> Or should it be "...:,W=354"?

No, there must not be ':'. So ...,W=1234 is correct.

> What happens if the number is wrong? If dovecot trusts in it, it would
> break the imap session, I guess, but would dovecot complain about it?

Before rc20 Dovecot disconnects the client when fetching the message,
but I don't think it actually logs any error message. With rc20 and
later it logs an error:

FETCH for mailbox %s UID %u got too little data: %u vs %u