[Dovecot] Big problems after upgrade from beta8 (FC5) to rc21

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 5 18:24:31 UTC 2007

On 5.2.2007, at 20.09, Jim Garrison wrote:

>> dovecot: Feb 05 09:54:30 Error: POP3(user at mydomain.com):
>> open(/var/mail/vhosts/mydomain.com/david/user, O_CREAT) failed: Not a
>> directory
..
>     args = uid=502 gid=502 home=/var/mail/vhosts/%d
> mail=mbox:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n

So, I'm assuming that "david" is an mbox file, and not a directory?
Yes, the mail setting changed a bit. It no longer tries to guess what
you meant by /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n.

Umm.. Did the previous setup really actually work without constant
errors in the logs? Because it looks like the index files were
created for /var/mail/vhosts/%d/.imap/ directory, and if there were
multiple users for a domain they'd conflict with each others. This is
one reason why the change was made, to fix setups which appeared to
work but didn't really work all that great :)

So the mail= setting needs to be:

mail=<user-specific-directory>:INBOX=/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n

If you really don't want a user-specific directory, see the bottom of
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation