[Dovecot] Test suite? Was [Dovecot-news] 1.0.rc21 released

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:33:31 UTC 2007

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On 5.2.2007, at 17.27, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
>> As I said, I wouldn't expect _you_ alone to implement a unit test  suite,
>> as it would be way too big of a project.  But is is something the
>> community could do for the CVS HEAD code, so it would be there for
>> dovecot 2.x when that comes due.  But it is up to you if you want this
>> or not.
>
> Well, sure a test suite would be nice. It would be also nice if
> someone with some experience in them would create the beginnings of
> it. I've some vague ideas about how it could work, but my past test
> suite experience is pretty small.

I'm willing to help.  How best to start?  Should we discuss possible
method on the list?  Or should someone (e.g. myself) just start with
what they want to do, without discussion?  Or should we start private
thread for this?  Or a new mailing list?

>> Creating an IMAP test is going to be harder than you would think also,
>> if you want to test mbox, maildir, and dbox all over local disk, NFS,
>> AFS, etc.  And even then, as has been pointed out, all you've tested
>> is the IMAP functions (no pop3, deliver, sieve, etc).  I'd see it
>> more as a stop gap method if done ad hoc.
>
> I was thinking that the IMAP test suite could be useful also outside
> Dovecot. There's been talk about such test suite once in a while in
> imap-protocol list. So it could check for both basic protocol
> compliance and for specific bugs in different servers.

Sounds interesting.  More of a separate project, but interesting.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!