[Dovecot] mail_location and storage type

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 12 17:20:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 18:11 +0100, Jürgen Herz wrote:
> POP3(jrg): Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with
> it: /server/mail/jrg/Maildir (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
> POP3(jrg): Failed to create storage with data: /server/mail/jrg/Maildir
..
> mail_location = maildir:/server/mail/%u/Maildir

Maybe it got it elsewhere? From userdb maybe? Or do you also have
default_mail_env? Or if you change that setting, does the path in the
error message change?

You could also verity with mail_debug=yes what the imap process sees as
the mail location. I'm pretty sure it doesn't see the "maildir:" prefix.

> The wiki article MailLocation doesn't contain any hint maildirs have to
> contain at least a cur subdirectory. That information I eventually got
> from mail-storages.txt - that file must be one for which the wiki isn't
> an alternative.

That's not a requirement. Dovecot creates the new, cur and tmp
directories itself if they're not found.

Creating the cur directory probably fixed it because then it allowed the
mailbox format autodetection code to work.

> 3. At least if the behaviour will stay, shouldn't the text from
> mail-storages.txt converted to a wiki article or incorporated into
> MailLocation?

I should delete doc/*.txt :) I'll go do that now..