[Dovecot] --log-error and the mysterious "not starting" problem

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Mon Feb 12 18:26:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:15:01 +0200
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 11:07 -0500, Marshal Newrock wrote:
> > Dovecot still fails to start, as near as I can tell, in the specific
> > condition that it is being started from a non-interactive shell and
> > there is a mail_plugin set in "protocol imap".  mail plugins set for
> > pop or lda do not cause this problem.  The failure to start appears
> > in only two instances that I can see: on boot, or by a monitoring
> > script if dovecot crashes, or, since I haven't seen dovecot die,
> > when I manually stop it to see if the monitoring program will
> > restart it.
>
> It wrote the error message to stderr, but I guess it wasn't shown in
> the screen or logged?
>
> Anyway, fix here:
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007637.html
>
> Another workaround would be to set imap_capability manually so Dovecot
> doesn't need to run the dump-capability process (it checks if plugins
> added more capabilities).

This make sense.  I had recently also tried upgrading to rc22 to see if
it fixed another problem, and at that point, dovecot always crashed
when trying to start up at "dump-capability".  As soon as I have time
later today, I'll send the complete output of trying to start rc22,
along with testing to verify exactly when it crashes, and try setting
imap_capability manually.

--
Marshal Newrock, Ideal Solution LLC
http://www.idealso.com