[Dovecot] DoveCot compression to save HDD space

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 14 17:37:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:07 +0000, Dick Middleton wrote:

> Why not get dovecot to do the delivery; since dovecot already has rw
> access to
> all users' files?  The LDA mearly connecting to dovecot and passing
> the email to
> it.

No, Dovecot doesn't have access to all users' files. Only root has
access to all files. Dovecot drops from root to a specific user before
accessing the files. Of course a lot of installations use a single UID
for all the users. In that case there isn't a problem, but since that's
the less secure way to run Dovecot, I don't want to encourage it by
offering features that work only that way.