[Dovecot] DoveCot compression to save HDD space

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 14 17:46:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:09 +0200, Host Expert wrote:

> I am wondering if there are any possibilities to save HDD space used
> by emails by compressing content (not just attachements).
>
> It would be many 1000s email boxes and probably each using lot of
> space so would be easier if we can just compress emails somehow.

With maildir? Dovecot already supports opening .gz mboxes, although in
read-only mode with zlib plugin.

With maildir then.. Well, one problem would be that Dovecot would need
to somehow figure out if the file is gzipped. Using some flag in the
maildir filename would probably work. This would probably be pretty easy
to implement directly into Dovecot's sources, but I'd rather want it as
part of the zlib plugin. I'm not sure if it's possible to implement as a
plugin currently.

In any case, this is pretty low priority feature to me..