[Dovecot] DoveCot compression to save HDD space

Wed Feb 14 20:04:41 UTC 2007

>>> With maildir I suppose it's possible with hardlinks, but that's a bit
>>> kludgy.

>> Do you know if that is how cyrus does it?

> I think Cyrus also uses hardlinks. Well, the only problem is what to do
> when the destination users have different UIDs. Deliver would pretty
> much have to deliver the mail as root, or use some kludgy approaches. In
> any case the file would then probably have to be owned by root (or
> another specified user) and be read-only to the destination users.

Actually, the only thing that would make any significant difference in
the amount of space used is implementing this only for attachments...

Wouldn't that be much easier, and bypass all of the UID and Deliver
Header issues?

--

Best regards,

Charles