[Dovecot] Q on configuring shared mboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 15 12:50:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 14:04 -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have the following three types of mailboxes on my server:
>
> 	1) Regular user mail /var/mail/<user> in mbox format
> 	2) Suspected spam in /var/tmp/spamprobe in mbox format
> 	3) Archived mailing list in /home/mks/mksarch in mbox format
>
> I want the 1) to be only accessible to the respective <user>, obviously (POP3
> and/or IMAP4).
>
> I wanted the 2) to be accessible to all users -- and I want them to be able to
> move stuff out of it into their own mboxes (IMAP4 is enough).

Create a new namespace for it. Something like:

namespace public {
  prefix = Public/
  location = mbox:/var/tmp
}

That gives access to everything in /var/tmp though. Otherwise you'll
have to do something like:

namespace public {
  prefix = spamprobe/
  location = mbox:/var/tmp/dovecot-public-home:INBOX=/var/tmp/spamprobe
}

However then the mailbox is called spamprobe/INBOX.

> I want the 3) to be accessible _read only_ to anyone, who enters the correct
> username/password (preferably -- without creating a special Unix account).
> (IMAP4 or POP3)

You can create a namespace like above and then use ACL plugin to make it
read-only. But there's no way to give any extra username/passwords, IMAP
protocol doesn't support that. You could make ACL file which makes it
read-only to specific list of users.