[Dovecot] Is it 1.0 yet?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu Feb 15 16:34:23 UTC 2007

Ethan Sommer wrote:
> Matthias Andree wrote:
>>
>> There is absolutely no reason to rush 1.0 forward, because the label
>> bears no significance whatsoever about quality, and even less is the
>> code base as such impressed by such external "declaration of stability".
>>
> Not that I'm in a hurry for this, but I'd argue that there might be a
> reason to rush 1.0, which would be to encourage more work on 1.1.
> So, while most people seem to want 1.0 "so that they can run a stable
> version," I'd say that getting 1.0, counterintuitivly, will actually
> make the 1.0.x release tree less stable, because more effort would go
> into new features in 1.1.

I agree. There are people who are holding out for the 1.0 milestone and
I think it's ready to bring them in. I think everyone here agrees that
Dovecot is far ahead of where most software that is 1.0 is so it's just
a matter of labeling. Timo is a perfectionist which is good but I think
there's a marketing factor here too. I think not going to 1.0 is holding
Dovecot back.