[Dovecot] Dovecot proxy question (hostname instead of ip)

Laurent Papier papier at sdv.fr
Fri Feb 16 10:17:03 UTC 2007

Le Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:45:33 +0200
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> écrit:

> Or I could simply implement the blocking DNS resolving and you'll just
> have to make sure that your DNS servers are always responding and doing
> it fast enough not to cause problems.

Or another solution would be to implement the blocking DNS resolving AND a
small cache. I think in most case there are only a few hostname in the proxy
table. So the cache can be very small (less than 10 ?).

I guess this solution will not have a noticeable performance impact and can
help in some (many ?) case. For example, I have a database with 1.5 millions
entries. If I need to change the IP address of the destination POP3/IMAP
servers, I have to update all the entries in my database. This large update can
be saved by just updating the DNS entry...

--
Laurent Papier - 03 88 75 80 50
Admin. système - SdV Plurimedia - <http://www.sdv.fr/>