[Dovecot] My "fighting spam" article is live!

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Fri Feb 16 16:26:55 UTC 2007

Esther Schindler wrote:
> Huh?
>
> First: I'd asked for input for this article on the dovecot list. I
> received several replies from people who answered my question, "what
> ONE thing do you wish your CIO understood about this subject?" So, at
> a minimum, my message was written to let people know that the project
> was complete and that their contributions mattered. (Not to mention
> that a few of your online friends might have been quoted.) This is
> called "good manners."
>
> Also, I don't see that the article was irrelevant. It was meant, from
> the first, to be a document that explained the techie's side of the
> issue to a manager. If your CIO doesn't need to be told these things,
> then I'm very happy for you -- but I've already gotten several
> readers, having the boss understand the situation _does_ help an email
> admin deal with the problem (i.e. the problem of clueless management),
> so I think it's relevant indeed.
>
> Third, I'm rather irritated when I see people use the word "spam" to
> mean "I'm not interested in this." You could argue that my message was
> off-topic. (I would disagree, but I'd accept the viewpoint.) However,
> spam is defined as unsolicited commercial e-mail. A link to an online
> article is not commercial, especially if there's nothing at that site
> for you to buy.
>
> Esther Schindler
> senior online editor, CIO.com

I couldn't agree more. I'm one of those who forwarded the message up in
the chain of command.

> On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:12 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
>> Luca Corti schrieb:
>>>
>>> Great! I mean, wow, do you realize you are actually spamming a
>>> mailing-list?
>>>
>>> oh my...

Like Esther said, the fact that the issue is of no interest to you
doesn't make the submission less valid. I wonder if you eagerly follow
every post to every list you subscribe because you are so very
interested in what everyone has to say about everything...

>> Agree 100 % , after all
>> in the Articel is nothing tec stuff included
>> which help people out of the problem, so its simply
>> the usual for marketing services bla bla

Just in case you haven't realized yet, fighting Spam is not a tech only
matter, certainly not for those who work in a corporate environment or
that have to report to some higher level.
Assuming that you really read the article, what you probably meant was
that it was of no concerned to anyone running a mail system at home with
mail accounts for the wife and kids.

My 2¢,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
ci.fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307

Centro de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.ci.fct.unl.pt	      apoio at fct.unl.pt

ci.fct.unl.pt:~# _