[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Feb 16 17:10:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 11:20:49AM -0500, Gerard wrote:
> On Friday February 16, 2007 at 10:46:16 (AM) Mark E. Mallett wrote:
>
> > FWIW I'm less inclined to report a problem if I have to register
> > somewhere or join something to do so.  I suppose that might be jerky
> > of me, I dunno.  One can always ignore reports that can't be understood
> > or followed up on; but conversely, one can't act on reports that one
> > never receives.
>
>  I honestly have no idea why some individuals desire such an extreme
> level of anonymity. The bug-tracker can be configured to keep the
> reporters information hidden from other bug-reporters.

Non-sequitor.  Do I seem concerned about my anonymity?  I hadn't even
thought about that.  Still, maybe that is a concern for some, I dunno.

I think one has to be skeptical of statements like "if you can't be
bothered to do <x> then you shouldn't expect to do <y>" -- at least
enough to examine whether the connection between x and y is something
you need to take into account.  Similarly of "I don't see why some
people are concerned about <z>, because I'm not" enough to examine
whether the concern z can be accomodated even if you don't personally
have it or believe in it.

Really, in the area of bug reports it's up to the person or entity that
wants to receive and act on reports.  People are different.  Some may
want to require registration, and so be it.  But again, my opinion is
that it may turn some people away.  Some may see that as a benefit,
and sometimes it may truly be one.  I simply gave my perspective.

-mm-