[Dovecot] repeat downloads of message headers in 1.0rc19

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 16 21:19:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 15:39 -0600, Jim Garrison wrote:
> I reported this against rc7 and rc8, and still see it occasionally.
> (I'm running the rc8 that comes with Fedora 5).
>
> It is always associated with this message in dovecot.log:
>
> dovecot: Oct 23 19:26:17 Error: POP3(user at domain.tld): mbox sync: UID
> inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/vhosts/domain.tld/user (12 >
> 4, seq=2, idx_msgs=5)

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxProblems

Is something besides Dovecot modifying the mbox?

> Once this happens, dovecot will refuse to clear out the
> mbox file when the user retrieves email via POP.  Each
> time the user logs in to retrieve mail s/he gets everything
> in the mbox, which continues to grow.  The only fix I've
> been able to find is to manually delete the mbox file.

Do you mean the above error keeps coming back again and again? If so,
please put the mbox in such state through
http://dovecot.org/tools/mbox-anonymize.pl and send the anonymized mbox,
dovecot.index and dovecot.index.log files to me.

If the error doesn't appear again but the user still gets all the mails
again, there's something else weird going on..