[Dovecot] Going nuts

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 17 11:31:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 10:34 +0000, Mário Gamito wrote:
> checkpassword(gamito at mail.sincity.lan,192.168.5.129): Executed:
> /usr/local/bin/auth_imap /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/checkpassword-reply
> dovecot: Feb 17 10:27:42 Info: auth(default):
> checkpassword(gamito at mail.sincity.lan,192.168.5.129): Received input:
> userdb_uid=0        userdb_gid=0

So auth_imap really doesn't do anything else than authenticate the user.
Or does it do even that correctly?

checkpassword scripts are supposed to change the process's UID and GID,
but as you see above the auth_imap keeps the process as root. You could
kludge around this by creating a few extra scripts that do "su mailuser"
or something and only after then execute checkpassword-reply. Otherwise
Dovecot thinks you want to run the imap/pop3 processes as root, and it
prevents that.

> dovecot: Feb 17 10:27:43 Error: auth(default): file auth-request.c: line
> 880 (auth_request_set_field): assertion failed: (*name != '\0')

Whops, yea, still a bit broken. This patch will fix it:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007744.html

I also built a new nightly snapshot with the fix in it.