[Dovecot] 1.0.rc23 tomorrow

Rainer Ophoven rainer at route66.homelinux.net
Sun Feb 18 10:49:37 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> http://dovecot.org/nightly/dovecot-latest.tar.gz
>
> Would be nice to get some testing before the actual release.
>
> I've now finally gone through all the "TODO" mails in this list and my
> INBOX and fixed pretty much every problem I know of. There are still
> some mbox bugs, but I can't really get them fixed unless someone figures
> out how to reproduce them (http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxProblems).
>
> I think documentation is the last thing that should be done before v1.0.
> I'm happy enough with the code as it is now, unless some new bugs again
> appear.
>
> The notable changes since rc22:
>
> 	* deliver doesn't ever exit with Dovecot's internal exit codes anymore.
> 	  All its internal exit codes are changed to EX_TEMPFAIL.
>
> 	+ PAM: blocking=yes in args uses an alternative way to do PAM checks.
> 	  Try it if you're having problems with PAM.
> 	+ userdb passwd: blocking=yes in args makes the userdb lookups be done
> 	  in auth worker processes. Set it if you're doing remote NSS lookups
> 	  (eg. nss_ldap problems are fixed by this).
> 	+ If PAM child process hasn't responded in two minutes, send KILL
> 	  signal to it (only with blocking=no)
> 	- IMAP: APPEND ate all CPU while waiting for more data from the client
> 	  (broken in rc22)
> 	- mbox: When saving a message to an empty mbox file it got one UID
> 	  which immediately was incremented.
> 	- mbox: Fixed some wrong "uid-last unexpectedly lost" errors.
> 	- auth cache: In some situations we crashed if passdb had extra_fields.
> 	- auth cache: Special extra_fields weren't saved to auth cache.
> 	  For example allow_nets restrictions were ignored for cached entries.
> 	- A lot of initial login processes could cause auth socket errors
> 	  in log file at startup, if dovecot-auth started slowly. Now the
> 	  login processes are started only after dovecot-auth has finished
> 	  initializing itself.
> 	- imap/pop3 proxy: Don't crash if the remote server disconnects before
> 	  we're logged in.
> 	- deliver: Don't bother trying to save the mail twice into the default
> 	  mailbox (eg. if it's over quota).
> 	- mmap_disable=yes + non-Linux was really slow with large
> 	  dovecot.index.cache files
> 	- MySQL couldn't be used as a masterdb
> 	- Trash plugin was more or less broken
> 	- imap/pop3 couldn't load plugins if they chrooted
> 	- imap/pop3-login process could crash in some conditions
> 	- checkpassword-reply crashed if USER/HOME wasn't set

works as stable with me (Linux 2.4.31, Thunderbird Windows XP-Client,
IMAPS) as rc22.

except:

dovecot: Feb 18 11:44:07 Info: IMAP(rainer): copy -> Trash: uid=203,
msgid=<SAjf071BeSip6f at route66.homenet.local>
dovecot: Feb 18 11:44:07 Info: IMAP(rainer): copy -> Trash: uid=204,
msgid=<SABwXVsN9w9KSK at route66.homenet.local>
dovecot: Feb 18 11:44:07 Info: IMAP(rainer): copy -> Trash: uid=205,
msgid=<SAGoI6iNDc8E0e at route66.homenet.local>
dovecot: Feb 18 11:44:07 Error: IMAP(rainer): Sending log messages too
fast, throttling..

with mail_log_max_lines_per_sec = 2  (have continuously been reducing
the value from 10, but it keeps happening.)

--
in diesem Sinne,
Rainer