[Dovecot] critical performance problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 20 10:13:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 11:02 +0100, Rene Luria wrote:
> And to get the right picture:
> are mailbox indexes compatible between 1.0alpha4 and 1.0.rc22 ?
> Because it just seems that it recomputes every index file for every pop3
> or imap connection

They should be compatible. And even if they weren't it shouldn't
recompute it for every connection.

Looks like dovecot -n output doesn't show the plugin section. Do you use
maildir++ quota?

I don't see anything special in the configuration, and I don't think
there are any generic major problems in rc22, so it's probably somehow
specific to your system. Or maybe because you're upgrading from alpha4.
I guess it's possible that rc22 somehow messes up because the
dovecot.index* files are somewhat different than it likes.

Anyway there have been so many changes since alpha4 (it's almost 1,5
years old) that it's pretty much impossible to guess what could be the
problem without knowing what is causing the I/O..