[Dovecot] 1.0.rc23 tomorrow

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 22 12:18:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 15:24 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > The notable changes since rc22:
> >
> > 	* deliver doesn't ever exit with Dovecot's internal exit codes anymore.
> > 	  All its internal exit codes are changed to EX_TEMPFAIL.
>
> Does this happen for definitive (= permanent) "no such user" issues,
> too? If so, EX_NOUSER should perhaps be supported as well, to name just
> one example.

Yes, those were done before and are also now. I only changed that now
all i_fatal() calls (eg. config errors, out of memory, etc.) return
EX_TEMPFAIL.

> > 	+ PAM: blocking=yes in args uses an alternative way to do PAM checks.
> > 	  Try it if you're having problems with PAM.
> > 	+ userdb passwd: blocking=yes in args makes the userdb lookups be done
> > 	  in auth worker processes. Set it if you're doing remote NSS lookups
> > 	  (eg. nss_ldap problems are fixed by this).
>
> This "blocking" is one of the knobs that are hard to explain to end
> users. More information is required as to when exactly these are
> mandatory and what exactly they fix, and how.

I think userdb passwd's wiki page explains it well enough now. I should
add it also to PAM. Although in PAM case I'm not sure how useful it is
going to be to anyone.

> Oh, and given the amount of changes this release had, there should be no
> changes before the release that aren't made available as rc24. Just
> remember Linux 2.6.8...

Yes, that was my intent. Only change in v1.0 vs. previous RC will be the
version number change.