[Dovecot] Mixing POP and IMAP

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Thu Feb 22 18:34:48 UTC 2007

Dominic Lepiane schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I run a small site, about a dozen users, and many of the users POP their mail.
> I have just installed Squirrelmail which uses IMAP.   Has anyone had any
> significant problems with mixing POP and IMAP for mail retreival?
>
> Your feedback is greatly apprecianted,
Hi,
you can savely run imap and pop3, but setup howtos
for imap cause in squirrel the used to have a sent folder, trash etc
which might fill up their mailbox quota ( if you have such), but users
cant see this folder if they usual use pop3 with their normal mail
clients, so its more a problem to educate user what are difference
between pop3 and imap,
for sure all users should use pop3s and imaps for security reasons
If you have more users which use imap ( starting from 100 up to ......)
be sure that your mailserver has enough power ( cpu, memory ) to handle
this, and perhaps you have to run imap proxies/loadbalancer etc
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards

Robert Schetterer