[Dovecot] lstats on all files in Maildir when opening an e-mail.

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Tue Feb 27 16:02:22 UTC 2007

Tan Shao Yi wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> Are you using dirsize quota backend? That's the only reason I can think
>> of for this. dirsize backend really sucks with maildir.
>>

> Hi Timo,
>
> Thanks! You hit it spot-on.
>
> Thanks for the tip-off.
>
> Cheers.

Hi guys -
So what can we use instead? We've just had 2 days downtime because
Dovecot was using 100% of the disk. As reported above - every action on
a user mailbox seems to lstat every file in the user's home.

So we've disabled quota completely and these millions of lstats have
stopped.

We're running virtual users (all under a vmail system user) so fs quota
is not workable. What do you recommend for a Maildir?

This is bad enough to almost work having Dovecot throw a:
WARNING: dirsize not recommended with Maildir format.

Best wishes,
Daniel

--
Squirrelmail Stable 1.4.8