[Dovecot] 1.0rc_15 - imap-login disappearing

James Pattinson jamesp at hisser.org
Wed Feb 28 16:05:41 UTC 2007

Hi All

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem that's been bugging me for several
months. About once or twice per week my IMAP server seems to get in a
state where no connections are possible (Thunderbird hangs at "Connected
to <server>").

Restarting dovecot completely fixes the problem, until it occurs again,
hours or days later.

I caught the problem today after I rebooted my server, and monitored the
running processes while attempting to connect. After each connection
attempt, the number of imap-idle processes running decremented until
none at all were running.

Before the final imap-login process died, I attached an instance of
strace to it - results here:

http://www.pasteserver.net/286

I am running Dovecot 1.0_rc15 on a Gentoo server. It's a vmware virtual
server - mentioning this now just in case, but I'm confident that's not
anything to do with it, no other services are having any problems that I
am aware of.

I am using TLS and Maildir.

I don't know enough about how dovecot is supposed to work, so I would
appreciate some help in diagnosing this problem!

Cheers,
James