[Dovecot] "Not connected to database" MySQL errors

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 3 14:00:30 UTC 2007

On 3.1.2007, at 0.28, Cassidy B. Larson wrote:

> I've been in the process of moving my pop3 proxy over to the
> dovecot proxy. I have a ton of users using pop3 still, and am
> seeing these errors  popup within a minute or so of the connection
> to the database:
>
> Password query failed: Not connected to database

You could try if the attached patch logs something more useful. I
doubt it though. I don't really see how to debug this any better
without looking into what the MySQL library does internally. You
could see what ktrace shows though. Does the MySQL library close()
the connection, or does it receive some "connection closed" error?

> Eventually the auth-worker will reconnect to the database and
> things will go on normal for another minute or two, then the same
> issue occurs.  I'm runing MySQL 5.0.22 on FreeBSD 6.1.  I upgraded
> to 5.0.27, however I started getting the: "Password query failed:
> Commands out of sync; you can't run this command now" error
> instead.  So I downgraded until I could figure out this issue first.
..
> password_query = CALL pop_auth('%u','%l','%r')

Could it be that MySQL just doesn't like having CALL used as a
replacement for SELECT, and while newer versions directly say that,
the older versions just go and do random disconnects or whatever?