[Dovecot] Message size incorrect?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 16 15:39:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 11:00 +0100, Tristan Woudenberg - Prism Mail
Solutions wrote:
> There is quite a discrepancy in the rfc822.size reported by Dovecot and
> the actual space it takes up on my harddisk. I know there could be some
> overhead here from all the dovecot* and subscription list files in my imap
> folders, but like I stated in my email to the SquirrelMail plugin mailing
> list, about 1mb for a 4.3mb maildir mailbox might be a but much.

RFC822.SIZE reports message's "virtual size" as it is sent to IMAP
clients, which means that if the maildir files contain LF-only linefeeds
(which is usually the case), the RFC822.SIZE increases the size by the
number of lines in the file (so each line ends with CRLF).

That however only increases the size reported by the Squirrelmail
plugin. I don't know why it would report 1 MB less.

How does Squirrelmail plugin's INBOX usage compare with "du -sh cur
new"? Do you have any files in tmp/ directories? Currently Dovecot never
cleans up the tmp/ directory. I guess I should add the code for that..