[Dovecot] dovecot-auth file descriptor usage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 16 22:48:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 16:33 -0600, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> > I'm now just wondering if it's only dovecot-auth that doesn't notice the
> > socket closing for some reason, or if the imap-login processes proxying
> > SSL didn't really close the socket after all.
>
> I have attached our dovecot.conf and a "pfiles" (like lsof) output of
> dovecot-auth, showing all of its open file descriptors.  I hope this helps.
> If there is anything else I can provide to shed more light, let me know.

login_processes_count = 32

This means that Dovecot always keeps extra 32 login processes that don't
do anything else than wait for new connections. That's not at least
helping :)

Anyway, I'd like to get lsof of an imap-login process that is doing SSL
proxying. Unfortunately I don't think there's any simple way to know
what processes are doing that and what aren't. Setting
login_process_count=1 at least makes it more likely that you'll hit the
right process. If trussing the process shows that it's writing some
garbage to file descriptor 1, it's probably proxying SSL..