[Dovecot] Multiple Mailbox Location

Giuseppe Giacomini gigiacom at unive.it
Thu Jan 18 11:42:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

I' m using dovecot v1.0.rc17  on a Centos 4.4 linux box with maildir format.
Linux box mounts two LUNs of our Storage Area Network.
LUN(a)  has been mounted on /home   with linux quota enable (small in
size , but faster than LUN(b))
LUN(b) has been mounted on /archive with linux quota enable (big in
size, but  slower than LUN(a) )

I want to create two different private namespaces for our users.
The first namespace is used for users' current mail (INBOX,Trash,Sent
....)  and is located on
faster disk (LUN(a))
The second namespace is used as mail archive. User drags his mail from
first namespace to the folders
located on the second namespace.

This is my namespace definition in dovecot.conf

default_mail_env = maildir:/%h/MailDir
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
   hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = "#Archive/"
   location = maildir:/archive/%u/MailDir
   #hidden = yes
}

This is the output to NAMESPACE command :

02 namespace
* NAMESPACE (("#Archive/" "/")) NIL NIL

We have a lot of types of client: Outlook >= 2000, Thunderbird, Eudora
7, Squirrellmail 1.4.8 with different behavior
regarding namespace.

These are my questions:

1) Is my namespace configuration right? Am I missing something?
It is a bit different from that at  http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces

2) If I create a folder under  the default namespace (i.e. .test under
user MailDir) and add the folder name in  namespace's subscription ,
Outlook and Eudora show me the folder and if I open the subscribe menu'
they show me the two namespaces with their folders.
With Thunderbird  I  can't see  the  created folder  under default
namespace and  if I open the  subscribe  window  I can see  only the second
namespace "#Archive" (That one not  hidden).  Is it a  Thunderbird
problem?

Thank you