[Dovecot] Bounce vs. Defer

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 19 18:37:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 10:28 -0500, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Hello--
>
> I've noticed that with when using deliver, if there is a
> misconfiguration in my dovecot configuration file, a permissions problem
> on the maildir, etc., deliver will bounce the message.  I'm using
> Postfix, and at some point used Maildrop, and I know that maildrop (and
> I believe also Postfix's virtual transport) instead defer the message if
> there is some kind of fixable problem (like permissions).  Then, when
> the problem is solved, you can flush the queue.
>
> Would it be possible to add a defer option to deliver?  It makes it
> difficult to try out new options or different configurations because if
> you have fairly regular incoming mail, the last thing you want is a ten
> minute period where 20 messages get bounced...

Dovecot should then reply with EX_TEMPFAIL (75) and Postfix shouldn't be
bouncing the messages then. Are the bounces from Dovecot's LDA or
Postfix? Dovecot adds "Reporting-UA: ..; Dovecot Mail Delivery Agent"
header for its own bounces.

I just tried this by making my Maildir owned by root, and deliver
returned correctly with exit code 75.