[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 20 00:01:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 15:44 -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On January 20, 2007 1:09:22 AM +0200 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > A couple of days ago I started thinking about this and then I figured
> > out a way to solve all of this nicely with a new and great Dovecot based
> > bug tracking system. :) Just so I won't forget it, here's the plan:
>
> The major problem with that is you have to WRITE a web interface which
> will be different than bugzilla that everyone is used to.  Tracking is
> also poor compared to bugzilla (or even gnats, which doesn't require
> php sql etc).
>
> If you ever want dovecot to become a project that would outlive your
> work on it, you should do bugzilla.

Last time I asked about BTS here, people seemed to say "use anything but
bugzilla". So I don't think that's going to be such a big problem..

However I don't see why Dovecot BTS's tracking would have to be any
worse than other BTSes. It would have a familiar web interface that
would work just the same way as the others. But the main thing is that
it would also allow people in mailing list to "use" the BTS, which they
wouldn't otherwise do if it were a separate Bugzilla or similar.