[Dovecot] mysteriously disappearing RECENT flag

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 22 16:55:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 17:38 +0100, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> * STATUS "test" (MESSAGES 41 RECENT 0 UNSEEN 0)
> 2 OK Status completed.
> [--- switch to another window and copy a message to the test folder ---]

Copied using what program? Did it add X-UID or Status header?

> 3 status test (messages recent unseen)
> * STATUS "test" (MESSAGES 42 RECENT 1 UNSEEN 0)
> 3 OK Status completed.

If you do it again, does it still show RECENT 1?

>  Why does Dovecot send "0 RECENT" when the mailbox is opened when it had
> just told that there was a recent message in it? And why is the message
> effectively old (no \Recent in the FETCH reply)? Notice that if I look at
> the MBOX file I see "Status: R" until command number 7, it becomes "Status:
> RO" only when I log out -- but internally Dovecot clearly considers it to
> be old long before that.

That is because it's using "lazy writes". You could try if setting
mbox_lazy_writes=no changes anything.

>  Am I doing something wrong? Or is this the expected behaviour and, in this
> case, is there any way to change it to the more expected one (UW-IMAP-like)?

It should work like that. I just tested the exact same method you
described, and SELECT showed 1 RECENT.