[Dovecot] [Dovecot-news] 1.0.rc18 released

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Mon Jan 22 17:34:56 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> http://dovecot.org/releases/dovecot-1.0.rc18.tar.gz
> http://dovecot.org/releases/dovecot-1.0.rc18.tar.gz.sig
>
> I think we're quite near v1.0 now.

> 	+ Added mail_log plugin to log various mail operations. Currently it
> 	  logs mail copies, deletions, expunges and mailbox deletions.

Just a suggestion... maybe put a freeze on new features and stabilize
1.0 with the current feature set and a known-bugs list.  The config file
has already been revised several times throughout the RC series, so
maybe that means that too much development is happening under a "release
candidate" banner?

I'm looking at this from a production admin's point of view:  It's
getting somewhat amusing to see more and more RCs, when the core
functionality is pretty much "done".  Problem is, RCs are not really
preferred for a production deployment in the eyes of nontechnical
people.  What a production environment needs is a nailed down version
that doesn't change features and only puts in critical fixes.

 From what I can see, dovecot could have released a 1.0 two or three RCs
ago and released bugfixes via a 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. branch, with new
development in a 1.1-beta line.  Timo, we believe in your code... it
works... so *please* slap a real release number on it, and we can
finally convince others that it's time to switch.  :)