[Dovecot] Postfix & Dovecot LDA

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 22 19:53:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 18:12 +0100, Láďa wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a setup, which is the same (currently in testing).
>
> Main problem is that LDA has to switch its privileges to the owner of mail
> so it has to be run as root. Marking it suid solves the problem, than you
> can change it to be executable only by Postfix.
> Timo says that this is the safe way and I personally believe him :-)

I don't remember saying it's completely safe, but it's about the only
possibility there is currently. There may be bugs that allow local
attackers to get root privileges using the suid-root deliver. To make it
safer, you could put the suid-root deliver into a directory that only
postfix has access to. The whole Dovecot's libexec-dir could actually be
made that way, as long as you're not using
mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes.