[Dovecot] mysteriously disappearing RECENT flag

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 22 20:20:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:04 +0100, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:55:33 +0200 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>  Thanks for the fast reply Timo!
>
> TS> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 17:38 +0100, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> TS> > * STATUS "test" (MESSAGES 41 RECENT 0 UNSEEN 0)
> TS> > 2 OK Status completed.
> TS> > [--- switch to another window and copy a message to the test folder ---]
> TS>
> TS> Copied using what program? Did it add X-UID or Status header?
>
>  Copied using my own MUA (Mahogany) which uses c-client library and is
> connected to the same (Dovecot) IMAP server, so the message is appended by
> Dovecot itself. It does have X-UID and "Status: R" headers but I thought
> they were appended by Dovecot itself, aren't they?

Oh, so you were basically appending a new message in another connection.

>  Anyhow, thanks for the hint about mbox_lazy_writes and I'd be glad to help
> you to debug the problem further if you're interested. Please let me know
> if you have any ideas about what would you like me to try (I can provide
> the full log of the IMAP session which copies the message too if this could
> be useful).

Yes, I could take a look at all the IMAP sessions. And I suppose you
haven't disabled index files? You could also try if you can reproduce
this with:

1) Try appending :INDEX=MEMORY to mail_location. Does it change
anything?

2) If 1) fixes it, does just deleting the index files first fix it?

3) The way I was testing it was:

a: telnet localhost 143, 1 login user pass
a: 2 status inbox (messages recent)
b: telnet localhost 143, 3 login user pass
b: 4 append inbox {11}
b: From: foo (enter enter)
a: 5 status inbox (messages recent)
a: 6 select inbox