[Dovecot] More AFS maildir debugging

Aaron Solochek aarons-dovecot at aberrant.org
Wed Jan 24 14:05:50 UTC 2007

Craig Huckabee wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>>>
>>> Both modifications fix the index problem on rc18.  However, a new
>>> problem I'm
>>> noticing now with thunderbird is that subscriptions are not
>>> persistent.  It
>>> seems whenever thunderbird connects to dovecot, it gets an empty
>>> subscription
>>> list.  Any advice on how to fix this?
>>
>> Does the subscription file contain anything? Or does Thunderbird just
>> break it by subscribing mailboxes?
>>
>> Anyway, I can think of two possibilities: pread() is broken, or link()
>> is broken. Try if dotlock_use_excl=yes helps? If not, try removing
>> HAVE_PREAD from config.h and recompiling.
>>

>   AFAIK, hard links are not supported at all in AFS, only symlinks. When
> I installed Courier for our local site, I had to replace the 'link'
> calls with 'rename', and 'unlink' with 'remove' - all #ifdef'd in our
> local source tree.
>
>   We're looking to switch to Dovecot so I'm happy to see someone else
> trying this out.
>
>   Putting the INDEX files elsewhere makes sense too if you want to use
> AFS quotas - one issue we have with Courier is that a user over quota
> gets denied access because all of the uuid/index files in Courier live
> in the maildir.
>
>   I'm still hoping someone can explain the quota plugin API to me so I
> can submit an AFS quota plugin - I have the code to calculate the quota
> but I'm having a hard time understanding what the different quota
> functions should return.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  An AFS quota plugin would be very nice.  My only
suggestion there would be to not make any assumptions about the volume structure
in the Maildir.  I personally broke my Maildir up into multiple volumes so they
wouldn't get too large (and a pain to deal with.)  So, for instance, .Sent is
actually it's own volume.

Anyway, be sure to send a message to the list if you write that, since I would
certainly use it.

-Aaron