[Dovecot] NEWBIE: configuring all virtual users...

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 21:04:50 UTC 2007

OK, I'm trying to filter-through all the different WiKi and docs about how to configure all virtual users.

Now, there's only going to be a few, and it's a secure env, so I'm going to try and configure a custom passwd file (or whatever trimmed-down version I can do), basically to do usernames, passwords, and MBOX dirs.

I'm only planning on serving POP3 mail to my clients.  I have a location to create MBOX files -- it will be in a specific directory, with sub-dirs for each user; sort of a /home/VU/%u/mbox .

I'm really confused as to what add'l info I need to include like "INDEX" and "INBOX" on the mail_location info.

Does anyone have any info and/or examples on how to configure my .conf file and create a minimal passwd file for these virtual users?

Thanks in advance,
AJ