[Dovecot] X-UID gaps cause Dovecot/IMAP to hang

Benjamin Howell bhowell at iglou.com
Thu Jan 25 19:12:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

When the Dovecot 1.0.rc19 IMAP server encounters X-UID headers with
gaps in them, it hangs indefinitely. I've attached a sample mailbox (in
mbox format) which repeatably exhibits this behavior. The mbox contains
only three messages with the following X-UIDs in order: 774, 785, 787.
If I remove the X-UID headers from each message, Dovecot handles the
mailbox without any problems. UW-IMAP is able to handle the sample mbox
_with_ X-UID headers.

A full backtrace is also included. When Dovecot hangs, it appears to
continually lock and unlock the mailbox. I'm using dotlocking so a
mailbox.lock file appears and disappears constantly. I have to kill the
process to log back in.

I'm not familiar enough with Dovecot to offer a patch, but if anybody
feels they can fix this or needs more information, please let me know.

Regards,

Benjamin Howell
bhowell at iglou.com