[Dovecot] Ubuntu, Exim, deliver: permissions/setgid problem

Sam Hathaway list.dovecot at munkynet.org
Mon Jan 29 01:23:06 UTC 2007

on 01/26/2007 06:55 AM Timo Sirainen said the following:

> On 26.1.2007, at 6.01, Sam Hathaway wrote:
>
>> I have a little problem. I'm trying to set up Dovecot deliver (1.0 beta
>> 3) as the LDA for Exim4 on Ubuntu 6.06 with MBOX, and I'm running into
>> permissions problems. Exim typically wants to run pipes as the user to
>> whom the mail is being delivered (as per the "check_local_user").
>> deliver needs access to the auth socket and needs to be able to create
>> files in /var/mail.
>
> If Exim sets the UID/GID already, does it also set HOME environment, or
> can you set default_mail_env without relying on the home dir coming from
> userdb? In that case if you just don't give -d parameter to deliver, it
> won't even try to connect to dovecot-auth and it won't try to change
> uid/gid.

Timo,

Yes, it does set HOME and removing the -d option worked. Thank you! I
was wondering if you could help me with the other part of my deliver
setup. I'm trying to deliver mail to arbitrary files as specified by
pathnames in .forward files. I'm using -m to specify the mailbox. It
seems that deliver only accepts mailbox names relative to $HOME/mail,
but a .forward file can contain any full path.

With "/home/sam/mail/dovecot-forward-test" in the .forward file, deliver
rejects the mail by sending this in a bounce message:

     Your message was automatically rejected by Sieve, a mail
     filtering language.

     The following reason was given:
     Invalid mailbox name

     Reporting-UA: vps.uofr.net; Dovecot LDA 1.0.beta3
     Final-Recipient: rfc822; sam
     Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; deleted

Is there any way to convince deliver to arbitrary paths? I tried
enabling mail_full_filesystem_access, but that didn't help.
-sam